Training to the frontline healthworkers on “Prevention and Management of Health Problems due to Pesticide Exposure”
Farming, Health and Environment Nepal (FHEN) project, in collaboration with NPHF and ICOEPH/DASAM, successfully organized an 3-day Training Conducted for Frontline Health Workers on “Prevention and Management of Health Problems due to Pesticide Exposure.”
From 2nd to 4th March 2023, a comprehensive training program was organized to equip frontline health workers with the knowledge and skills necessary to prevent and manage health problems resulting from
pesticide exposure. The training aimed to address the specific challenges faced by health workers in dealing with pesticide-related issues.
The training had a total of 28 participants, primarily consisting of Auxiliary Health Workers and Auxiliary Nurse Midwives from health posts. Additionally, nurses from the emergency departments of
Chitwan Medical College (CMC) and College of Medical Science (CMS) also took part in the program.
The training covered a range of essential topics related to pesticide exposure and its impact on human health and the environment. The contents of the training and the respective facilitators are as follows:
- Introduction to pesticides, including their features, types, and labeling requirements facilitated by Mrs. Srijana Bhattarai, Senior Agriculture Coordinator, FHEN
- Modes of entry of pesticides and their effects on human health and the environment facilitated by Ms. Seema B.K, Project Officer, FHEN
- Occupational health and safety, pesticide as a public health issue, registration, and recording of pesticide poisoning cases facilitated by Mr. Jiwan Kumar Poudyal, Assistant Professor/BPH Coordinator, Shree Medical College
- Detection of patients with pesticide exposure facilitated by Prof. Dr. Roshan Gachhadar, Senior Lecturer, Department of General Practice and Emergency Medicine, CMC Hospital
- Preventive measures to minimize pesticide exposure facilitated by Prof. Dr. Abhinav Vaidya, Project Coordinator, NPHF, and FHEN
- Management of acute and chronic pesticide poisoning cases at primary healthcare centers
- facilitated by Dr. Alok Pradhan, MDGP, Department of General Practice and Emergency Medicine, CMS
- Case studies of pesticide poisoning, experience sharing and discussion/ Counselling exercise (To motivate patients and visitors for safe handling of pesticides) and discussion Facilitated by Dr. Samir Lama, Emergency Department, College of Medical Science (CMS)